Monday, December 04, 2006

A tribute

Today has been such a bittersweet day. My dear friend Stephanie lost her husband to cancer on Friday night. His memorial was today. It was one of the most inspirational services I've been to. The pastor really emphasized the celebration of Keith's life and faithful walk with God. He said that Keith would want to be remembered, but more than anything he would want this service to be about God and His glory. Even as he struggled with his sickness, Keith was concerned about how he could glorify God. To me that is amazing! The pastor also recounted that Keith quoted Job when asked what he'd learned through the trial of facing cancer by saying, "Though you slay me, I will still trust in you!" Job 13:15

Keith and Stephanie's pastor also read the story of Lazarus (John 11) and encouraged us to remember Jesus' words in John 11: 4, "This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God's glory so that God's son May be glorified through it." Keith's sickness did not end in death for he is sitting in the very presence of His creator and is just beginning eternal life. And I'm certain his faithful legacy will impact many for the glory of Christ.

I am thankful for Keith's life and pray that I won't forget this day. All day, I have been alternating between sorrow for Stephanie and Lincoln and being humbled by the walk and testimony of Keith's life. I want to make the days count and let God use my life for His glory. I am so easily caught up in the trivial trappings of life - Christmas shopping, housekeeping, work, etc. I pray God will keep my heart open and help me to see the opportunities each day provides to glorify Him.

The group Mercy Me sang the song "Homesick" at the memorial today. Here are the words below:

You're in a better place, I've heard a thousand times.
And at least a thousand times I've rejoiced for you.
But the reason why I'm broken, the reason why I cry
Is how long must I wait to be with you

I close my eyes and I see your face
If home's where my heart is then I'm out of place
Lord, won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
I've never been more homesick than now

Help me Lord cause I don't understand your ways
The reason why I wonder if I'll ever know
But, even if you showed me, the hurt would be the same
Cause I'm still here so far away from home

I close my eyes and I see your face
If home's where my heart is then I'm out of place
Lord, won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
I've never been more homesick than now
In Christ, there are no goodbye
And in Christ, there is no end
So I'll hold onto Jesus with all that I have
To see you again
To see you again

And I close my eyes and I see your face
If home's where my heart is then I'm out of place
Lord, won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
Won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
Won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
I've never been more homesick than now

1 comment:

Amberly said...

Jenny, I am so sorry about your friend's loss. I will be praying for Stephanie & her family. The memorial service sounded so inspiring. That was a wonderful tribute!