Monday, March 07, 2011
Fun with Colton
Yesterday, I took Colton to the library. He is such a homebody lately that I have to really "sell" the idea of going somewhere. So, I told him we could find some books about Venus flytraps and horse apples :) His latest curiosity. Just FYI - there's not a big market for horse apple books at the library. I don't even know if that's what they are called but he does not forget that I told him I didn't know if horses really ate them and that we could try to find out at the library. Why I didn't say I would just google it is beyond me!
Thankfully, there is a lot of info. about insect-eating plants! It's really pretty fascinating and I think it points to an amazing creator! But, I digress....
So, I needed to run to a couple of stores before the library and I didn't really tell him until after I got him in the car - he was not too happy about the extra stops but Mommy sometimes needs to get out of the house and the weekends are a great time to run errands because I can just take one boy and leave one with Jack.
After our 2nd store that was not the library, he questioned, "Where is the library?" "This is not the way to the library." I told him it was Kohl's and Mommy needs a dress that was only on sale today. He remarked, "You have plenty of dresses in your closet!" Wow, out of the mouths of babes :) We quickly went in and he forgave me for procrastinating our library trip just a bit longer. He was quite taken by the "short" beds in the home area of the store and decided this was a pretty good stop after all. Plus, we saw an ant hill with angry ants in the parking lot which provided a lot of discussion on the way to the library and led to some of our book choices.
We were finally on our way, when I happened to pass right by Sonic at 3:30, just perfect timing for happy hour so I turned in to the drive-in and Colton immediately said, "Mom, we are not going here are we?" I told him how happy a Sonic drink made me. He said, "I know, Mom". Then, I asked him what made him happy. After telling me I could just get some water out of the refrigerator (again, truth from a 3 year old) he told me, "I'm happy when we go straight to the library without any stops!" That made me laugh so hard!
Finally we pulled in to the library and to make up for the extra errands I parked in the parking garage and let him push all the "magic" buttons on the way in to the library and in the elevator.
Just for fun - Here are the subjects of the 17 books Colton picked out at the library:
Spiders
Ants
Ant Cities
Plant Eating Insects
Thomas the Train (2)
Jumping Spiders
Sharks
Bats
Animals of Africa
This is a fun age! Now if we can just get our horse apple facts straight! Off to google it right now!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I am laughing at these sweet stories from our insightful & inquisitive little guy. Great book selections.....no wonder he is so smart! The picture of the boys reading beside each other is priceless. Love ya'll more.
Oh my goodness! This was a "read out loud" post. We both enjoyed it and got some laughs! I remember him asking about those horse apples when we went to the park that day! Wow! What a memory. Kelly
Great stories...it is amazing that he has grown up so much to say such insightful..funny things. I think he may come by that "homebodiness" honestly. :)
Post a Comment