I just got off the phone with a precious friend of mine. Talking with her always brings up difficult questions. I've known her since she was in 4th grade. She is now 20 and her life has been full of challenges. She was born into a cycle of poverty. Her father was killed early in her life and her mother raised her and her two brothers. I met her through a program at ACU called Treadaway Kids. Meeting her and her brothers changed my life.
Why is her life so hard? What can I do to help her? Over the years, we have grown as close as sisters. I am always amazed at her strength and courage. She is unselfishly loyal to her family. She wants to go to college and repay all those who've shown kindness to her along the way. However, everytime she sets out to break the cycle that she's in, she faces another crisis. Most recently her brother was stabbed (he will make it). He was mistaken for someone else.
I want to learn how to help her. I know there are so many people like her trying to survive and break the cycle of poverty. Why was I so blessed?
These questions haunt me but also light a fire in my soul. I know Jesus had a reason for saying "the poor would always be among us." I also know we are to "help the widow and orphan in their distress, to give to anyone who asks of us and love the Lord with all our soul, heart and mind..." Is it my job to reconcile these statements?
And just now, I saw Rembrandt whitestrips on T.V. that are very appealing. I have a broken computer sitting in my study and lots of clothes in my closet. My friend has never had a computer and has never had the luxury of shopping for the sake of shopping.
This is my dilemma. I am constantly struggling between living by the fire in my soul and living by my fleshly desires. Thank God that He is in control. I trust Him with my friend and I trust him with these questions.
No comments:
Post a Comment